Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Definitives?

A quest for self definition, if only because the world seems to insist.
Per Merriam Websters:

Subvert:
1: to overturn or overthrow from the foundation : ruin
2: to pervert or corrupt by an undermining of morals, allegiance, or faith. 
 
Feminism:
1: the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes
2: organized activity on behalf of women's rights and interests 
 
Queer:
 1: a : differing in some odd way from what is usual or normal b (1) : eccentric, unconventional


So, A subversive, feminist queer. Seems fitting, but perhaps a bit long. Subversive almost seems redundant, as both feminism and being queer are a subversion of societal norms.

Feminist Queer seems to cover it nicely, and I actually find it as useful as any self claimed identity. Certainly more descriptive and immediately understandable than most. And yet, it does not explain my presentation. Which matters not to me, but others seem to choke on the notion of it not mattering and so...

Femme Queer: A subversive feminist queer woman.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful. As I was saying before, I most recently have identified as a queer femme. my progression has been interesting:

    gay man
    pansexual/pangender
    pansexual/transgender
    pansexual/genderqueer
    queer/genderqueer
    queer femme

    I've truly embraced "femme" though I don't think of myself as a woman most of the time. I like my mostly male body and don't feel a disconnect between it and my identification as femme. I'm known as "the most feminist person I know" by just about everyone I interact with, and I am certainly subversive in my quest to smash educational inequity among other queer life goals, so SUBVERSIVE FEMINIST QUEER is such a wonderful, flexible label for my life right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and I have to say, you truly understand the concept here. It is an empowered position, where it is okay to be femme, but also okay regardless of genitalia. To me, as much as anything, the statement made is "no, I wont fit myself into a box by either repression of identity or surgical intervention. I will live my life as a free, empowered, and yes, sexual being... today and everyday." And that is not contrary to feminist theory in any way, in fact it meshes nicely with the concepts of subversive feminism, as we who identify as queer, regardless of birth assignment, are the ultimate snub to the patriarchy. Queer is the act of refusing to fit into the binary, femme queer is the act of refusing to fit in even if it appears you would. The subversive power of the notion is truly huge, and that I love.

    ReplyDelete